The word "temple" in Revelation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]

Posted by Elana Janson on September 14, 2009 at 16:38:20:

The word “temple” in Revelation

The significance of the repetition of words

In a recent post “They went up on the breadth of the earth” I indicated how the word “breadth” is used in Revelation Rev 21:16 to describe the dimensions of the of the New Jerusalem “And the city lieth foursquare and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.” I then showed how the word “breadth” is used to describe from whence the nations would come up to surround the “beloved city” which is Jerusalem for Jesus Christ I believe confirms this in Luke 21:20 “When ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh”.

Because Revelation gives the stern warning that no word must be changed (Rev 22:18-19) I place great significance on the position of words in Revelation as well as the repetition of the same word. I therefore said that I believe that the same word, that is ”breadth”, is used in both verses for Revelation is revealing that in both verses “breadth” symbolically indicates and confirms the dimension that includes the entire earth.

Temple

I wish to show in this post how Revelation uses the symbol of a construction that can be measured to reveal meaning. I believe that this symbol of a construction that can be measured, if understood, reveals immense concepts in few words. The constructions that can be measured are the “temple” and “New Jerusalem”. Because both of these can be “measured” I believe they relate to each other are the ‘connection’ of earth and heaven as well as solace to Christians in that they can know that their faith on earth, being part of the Christian faith and the ‘body’ of Christ (within the “temple”) there is a transition also to eternity and the New Jerusalem (within the construction of the New Jerusalem). I hope the following paragraphs will make this clearer to those who may not quite follow what I am saying.

The word “temple” in Scripture

In order to understand the meaning of ”temple” in Revelation one must understand the use of the word in Scripture. This explanation comes from Cruden’s Complete Concordance: “A house or dwelling of God, a building erected and set apart for the worship of the true God. The word is used in the Bible (1) of the tabernacle. 1 Sam 1:9 (2) Of Solomon’s temple (3) The temple as rebuilt in the times of Ezra and Nehemiah (4) All the references in the New Testament to the existing temple are to Herod’s temple, built by Herod the Great in 20 BC (5) Of Christ’s body and human nature, in which the fullness of the Godhead dwelt, John 2:19 (6) Of the human body (1 Cor. 3:16).

The word “temple” in Revelation

I believe it is of the greatest significance that Revelation uses the word “temple” for this word holds such great meaning. It is the word revealing the place of worship of the true God. Therefore in Revelation which is the Revelation of Jesus Christ it reveals the rise of the true Christian Church after the resurrection; as mentioned above its meaning includes the ‘body and human nature of Christ in which the fullness of God the Father dwelt’. Therefore Rev 11:1 says “And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel, stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.” The angel gave the reed to John to measure the temple. John was a person. Therefore I believe that Revelation wishes to reveal that this is a verse that man will ultimately comprehend and that has to do with the rise and history of the Christian church on earth - Therefore also the words “and them that worship therein.”

New Jerusalem

Why does Revelation indicate that in the end time, a construction, the New Jerusalem, with a length, breadth and height coming down from heaven? I believe the reason for this is to reveal how the earth in the end time symbolically and ultimately literally, when Jesus appears on Mount Zion, become one with heaven. The word “temple” indicates, and this is paramount to the understanding of Revelation, that those who followed the Lamb (the teachings of Jesus Christ) on earth are going to be resurrected and once again live on a ‘new earth’. Therefore John says in Rev 21:1 “I saw a new heaven and a new earth’. The construction of the “temple” is to indicate the development of Christianity on earth but ultimately that “temple” is symbolically ‘eternity’ that is actually the New Jerusalem on earth. Therefore Rev 21:2 says that John saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven.” But the New Jerusalem involves the entire earth and those that have already died in Christ. In order to understand this fully we must go to the verses where the word “temple “is used.

Rev 7:15

It seems that Rev 7:15 reveals this combination of ‘temple’ on earth and ultimately ‘temple’ in heaven.

In Rev 7:15 the word “temple” indicates the place where those that have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb (Rev 7:14) dwell after death and the resurrection. “Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple, and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them”. I believe that the word “temple” in this verse conveys the worship of the Trinity (“in his temple”), on earth, therefore also the words “day and night”, but also eternity. It also indicates eternity for those that inherit everlasting life will have the same convictions that they had when they lived on earth and were part of the earthly “temple”, that is the community of Jesus Christ in the past two thousand years - those that accepted the message of Jesus Christ as the Son of God and followed His teachings.

Rev 11:19 “And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament; and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.” With my knowledge of Revelation I believe that the words: “And the temple of God was opened in heaven” means that the meaning of “temple” will only be made known through a divine intervention (“opened in heaven”). “There was seen in his temple, the ark of his testament” means that the rise of the Christian faith and the redemption through the blood of Christ over some two thousand years (“there was seen in his temple” – “temple” here meaning His body and the rise of His Church) will confirm all that Christ conveyed in his testimony (“the ark of his testament”).

The words “and there were lightnings, and voices and thunderings and an earthquake” convey the symbolism of Revelation that reveal the time measures of Revelation, as explained in my books and on this website. It seems that specifically one earthquake will reveal that the meaning of Revelation has been made known. I believe it was the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake. The words “and great hail” I believe reveals the climate change that we are witnessing at the present time. As I have mentioned on this website the words “great hail” – “hail” also used in Rev 16:21 – indicates the very final time.

Rev 15:5 “And after that I looked and behold the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened. And seven angels came out of the temple, having seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.”

When it is revealed to mankind (“was opened”) that Revelation reveals the rise and spread of the Christian faith over some two thousand years (“the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven”).

Tabernacle

I shall try to explain “tabernacle” in a few sentences. I understand the word “tabernacle” in Revelation to have a symbolic meaning in relation to the word “wilderness” in Revelation. It was made known to me that Revelation reveals the history of the rise of the Christian Church among the nations of the earth. Therefore “tabernacle” and “wilderness” mean the Christian church that arose in the far reaches of the earth in the second millennium. I know this through the positions of the words “wilderness” in Rev 12:14 and “tabernacle” in Rev 13:6. In Rev 12:14 “And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness” These words describe the spread of the faith from Europe to the ends of the earth in the second millennium after the coming of the Christ. The second millennium is indicated by the “time, times and a half time”. In the Old Testament the tabernacle was the holy place in the wilderness. Readers would have to make a full study of my interpretation of Revelation, chapters 12 and 13 to understand this interpretation of the symbolism of these chapters.

“And seven angels came out of the temple having seven plagues.” Once it is known that “temple” represents the Christian faith within the nations of the earth over the past two thousand years it can be understood that the “angels” represent certain times that specific ‘plagues’ (punishments or retributions) will befall mankind for having been misled by the power of Satan (symbolized by the “dragon”; the” beasts” and the “whore”).

Rev 15:8 “And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power, and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.” It seems that the first “temple” refers to the “temple” on earth. Christians will struggle in the time of the plagues, but some will overcome and after the plagues will be resurrected to the eternal temple. This verse reveals that the Return will not happen until the time of the “seven plagues” have passed (“no man was able to enter into the temple”).

Rev 16:1 “And I heard a great voice out of the temple.” The words “great voice” reveals a time measure in the time of the spread of the Christian faith within the nations of the earth. The measure is given by God in the end time. In the following verse we are told that the first vial is cast upon the earth. The measure of “earth” is from 1266 to 1932. In that time illnesses “grievous sore” will come upon mankind because man was misled by the beast.

Rev 16:17 ‘And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air, and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.” This is the time of global warming. It is the final time measure on earth and it is announced from heaven. I believe that this is exactly what is happening at the present time. It has been made known to us through Revelation that the final plague is going to affect the air and our climate.

It seems that Revelation reveals a transition from the “temple” on earth in Rev 16:1 to the “temple of heaven” in Rev 16:17. Revelation is revealing that in the end time we are going t be given greater understanding of the time of the Second Coming.

Rev 3:12

I think that with the insight into the meaning of “temple” in Revelation we can better understand the meaning of Rev 3:12 “Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God.” These words come in the letter to the church in Sardis. With the knowledge that “temple” means the body of Christ and the rise and spread of the Christian Church these words indicate that those who overcome sin will be a support and strength to the Christian faith and to the Christian Church in Sardis but also in the time to come.

Rev 21:22 “And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.” (The word “it” relates to the New Jerusalem). I believe that this verse distinctly reveals that the word “temple” in Revelation relates to the Christian Church on earth. Revelaton then reveals the transition. The time of the Christian Church on earth and Christians that through Holy Communion are part of the body of Christ - "temple" - as we know it from Scripture comes to an end. The New Jerusalem is a transition of that "temple" that comes with the Return and everlasting life. “Temple” then solely relates to the Trinity. It is no longer a constructon that can be measured - but because "temple" is ultimtately Lord God Almighty and the Lamb Revelation reveals the great importance of the Christian Church or "temple" on earth. The Church of those whose names are written in the book of life of the Lamb (Rev 21:27).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]