"The Twelve" Disciples

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]

Posted by Richard Smit on November 11, 2005 at 04:11:00:

Note: Click [file], and then [save as], and then save the following, to read the Ebook at your own convenience. Follow up messages must both be “Submit message” and “Post message” at bottom of page, to be recorded on the website.

THE TWELVE DISCIPLES:A BRIEF STUDY

INTRODUCTION
To be quite honest with ourselves, we have to admit, that we humans are the most extraordinary creatures (“creation”) in many different ways.

We “sometimes” really know how to complicate things and become totally mixed up and confused. Surely we should know, without any doubt at all, that each one of us is unique and very special to God. Or is this just some diabolical “dream” or someone forcing their unwanted beliefs upon us.

Why is it that we find it so difficult to believe anyone, especially when it comes to matters spiritual? We’ve all heard something about doubting Thomas, one of Jesus Christ’s apostles. He did not say he refused to believe, only that he was unable to believe, until he had some experimental proof, in spite of the testimony of ten competent and trustworthy companions, who had seen the Risen Christ with their own eyes. He expressed the conditions of his faith and belief as follows:

“Until I have seen the mark of the nails on His hands, until I have put my finger into the mark of the nails, and put my hand into His side, you will never make me believe”. John 20:25

Sceptical and gloomy, perhaps? No, I don’t think so. His was not the scepticism of indifference or hostility to truth. He wanted knowledge and proof in order to have faith. A proof based on the senses, or, the faculties that belong to the animal kingdom, a proof of the senses that would be given to him.

“Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side; and be not faithless, but believing”. John 20:27 KJV

There is every reason to believe that Thomas did exactly that. The wounds on Jesus’ side and hands must have been rather large, since He asked Thomas to put his hands and fingers into them. The doubting Thomas became so convinced by positive proof that he became a worshipper.

The last to believe, was the first to make a full acknowledgement, of the Divinity of the Risen Christ. Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God”. John 20:28 (NJB)

However, Jesus said to Thomas:
“Because you have seen Me, Thomas, you believe. Blessed [are] the [ones] not seeing and believing” John 20:29 (Interlinear Greek-English)

There are some, who will never believe, even when they see the truth. Such as, the Egyptian Pharaoh. Others will believe without seeing. Noah, for instance had been “warned” of God of the things that had not yet come to pass, but prepared his Ark, as instructed. Abraham believed, and left his home, not knowing where he was going, but still trusting God, who had promised that he would be the father of a nation more numerous than the sand of the sea.

Is it right to demand the “full evidence” of “sensible proof”, like Thomas?
What would become of future generations if the same evidence was to be demanded by them (“them” - that’s you and me).

Surely, we must accept the truth about Jesus and the Resurrection from those who had been with Him. Is not our faith, in part, based on the foundation of “the testimony” of the Apostles who had seen the Risen Christ with their own eyes.
If this is the case, we then need to know, in more detail, who the disciples were.

DEFINITION OF DISCIPLE
Were the disciples unique and very special? What did the disciples of Jesus know? Were they, and are they, the only disciples? Are we, present day Christians, perhaps disciples too? Not one of “The Twelve” but maybe one of “the many”.

Is this possible do you think? What or who is a disciple in any case?

Matthew 10:1 & Luke 6:13
The word disciple is a New Testament term meaning a learner or pupil, and therefore follower, and is used both for the twelve disciples and Apostles, and for believers in general. It is also applied to the followers of others, including the followers of John the Baptist and the followers of the Pharisees.

The word discipleship does not appear in the Bible, but is frequently used for the “way of life” expected of those who follow Jesus. The meaning is especially common in the Gospels, where Jesus explains that it involves committing ones whole life to God. He, Jesus is the model for discipleship, with the Cross as its symbol (Mark 8:34-35) and His servanthood its pattern (Mark 10:42-45)

GIGANTIC AIM
When studying the New Testament one can “see” the gigantic aim Jesus proposed for His disciples and followers, namely, the moral conquest of the whole world. His followers were to be the light of the world, the salt of the earth and the city that cannot be hid.

He asked rather “insignificant men” to take an almost “cosmic (very broad) view” of their mission, for on them He would build (foundation) His Kingdom, and they were to cast their nets and rays, over the rest of humanity, in all nations.

If the world was a vineyard it would need labourers, if a net it would need fishermen, if a field it would need sowers and reapers, and if a flock of sheep it would need shepherds.

70 or 72

Luke 10:1-2 [see also verse 17]
“After this the Lord appointed seventy two others [ some manuscripts say seventy] and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where He was about to go. He told them “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest therefore to send out workers into His harvest field”.

TWELVE
The number twelve I believe, “also” has a symbolic meaning.

The book of Revelation mentions twelve foundations, twelve gates, twelve angels and the twelve Apostles of the Lamb. There are twelve patriarchs in the Old Testament and twelve tribes in Israel. Jacob had twelve sons. Twelve spies explored the promised land. There are twelve stones on the breast of the high priest. When Judas betrayed Jesus, a twelfth Apostle had to be appointed. The disciples picked up twelve baskets of uneaten bread (Luke 9:17). In the Gospels the Apostles are frequently referred to as “the Twelve”, the title being used no less than thirty two times.

In choosing the twelve it is apparent that Jesus was preparing them for a work during His lifetime but also for a work, after His death and Ascension into heaven.

But they, The Twelve, had “much to learn” before they could do this work.

Matthew 10:2
These are the names of the twelve apostles:
first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew;
James son of Zebedee and his brother John;
Philip and Bartholomew;
Thomas and Matthew the tax collector;
James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus;
Simon the Zealot and
Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him

Mark 3:13-15
Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve-designating them apostles- that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.

INSTRUCTED WHAT TO DO
Matthew 10:5-7
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions:
Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans
Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, preach this message:
“The kingdom of heaven is near” ………………

WARNED
Matthew10:17-20
Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

THEIR IMPORTANCE
Matthew 10: 40 (NAB)
Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.

THEIR IMPORTANCE TO JESUS (PRIORITIES)
Matthew 11:1 (Living Bible)
When Jesus had finished giving these instructions to His twelve disciples, He went off preaching in the cities where they were scheduled to go.

A SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP
Matthew 12:46-50
While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you. He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.

Matthew13:10-11
The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”
He replied, “The knowledge of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

Matthew 13:16-17
But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

LACK OF UNDERSTANDING
Matthew 15:15-16
Peter said, “Explain the parable to us”
“Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. (the disciples)

CONFESSION OF FAITH
Matthew 16:15-20
“But what about you.”? He asked.
“Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

LITTLE FAITH
Matthew 17:19-20
Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked “Why couldn’t we drive
it [the demon] out?. He replied “Because you have so little faith”

Mark 4:40-41
He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?
They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”

BETRAYAL
Matthew 26:14-15
Then one of the Twelve- the one called Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests and asked, “What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?

JOY AND REVERENCE
Matthew 28:9-10
Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings He said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshipped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, there they will see me”.

FINAL INSTRUCTIONS AND DOUBT
Matthew 28:16- 20
Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted.

Then Jesus came to them and said “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

A GAURANTEE
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age

ABOUT THE DISCIPLES
The following characteristics and life styles of the disciples can all be seen in the Gospels. To save space, chapter and verse, are not quoted. One only needs to read the “four” Gospels for confirmation.

PETER
He had great qualities of leadership. When after the Resurrection of Jesus he said “I’m going fishing” the other disciples followed.

He showed his moral courage when he left family and work for Jesus. This courage of his, expressed in various ways, made him smite off the ear of Malchus, when the leaders came to arrest Jesus.

He was also boastful. He swore that although others would betray Jesus, he would not.

He was deeply attached to Jesus and had a deep sense of sin. He begged Jesus to depart from him, because of his unworthiness. But when other disciples left Jesus, he said there was no one else they could go to,

He was extremely impulsive, guided more by feeling than by reason. When he wanted to walk on the water and given the power to do so, he became frightened and cried out in fear, even though a man of the sea.

He was rather emphatic too, swinging words, cursing, protesting against Jesus washing his feet.

This man, Peter, was turned into the rock, on which Christ built His Church. Some say it was Peters’ faith that was the rock. Peter (not the rock) is mentioned no less than 195 times in the New Testament, the rest of the Apostles only 135 times together.

Peter’s name was Simon but it was changed by Jesus, to Cephas. The word Cephas means rock. Whenever God changes the name of a man, in scripture, it raised him to a higher role in the community of his time.

ANDREW
He was Peter’s brother and is mentioned no less than eight times in the New Testament.

When he first met Jesus, to whom his friend John the Baptist had pointed, he immediately went and told Peter, his brother, that he had found the Messiah. He seems always to be spoken of as Simon Peter’s brother.

He was called from his fishing nets to be a fisher of men.

He may be called an “Introducer”. He introduced his brother Peter to Jesus. He introduced the boy with the barley loaves and fish to Jesus. Later with Philip he introduced the Greeks to Jesus.

THE BROTHERS – JAMES AND JOHN
James and John were brothers and worked for their father, Zebedee, as fishermen.

Their mother, Salome, had great ambition for her two sons, because it was she, who asked Jesus to pick her sons, to sit at the left and right side of Him in His Kingdom.
However mistaken she was, it must be added, that she is later found, at the foot of the Cross.

Jesus gave the two brothers the name of Boanerges, meaning “sons of thunder”.

John was plunged into boiling oil which he survived by a miracle. He was also known as “the disciple whom Jesus loved”. He was the disciple who Jesus instructed to take care of His mother after the Crucifixion. The name John in the original Hebrew means “favored of God”. His writings (especially the book of Revelation) reveal him as an eagle who soared to heaven, to record the mysteries of the Word. He understood the heart of Christ and penetrated into the deep significance of His words. He only, tells us, that Jesus wept and gives us the definition of God as “Love”. He is also found at the foot of the Cross.

James was the first of the Apostles to be matyred for Christ. Together with Peter and John he witnessed the Transfiguration, the raising of the daughter of Jairus from the dead and Jesus’ agony at Gethsemane.

PHILIP
Philip, like Andrew and Peter came from the town of Bethsaida on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. It was he who told Nathanael (also known as Bartholomew) that they had found the one Moses had wrote about in the law, and about whom the prophets had also written. He said to Nathanael “come and see”. He was present at the multiplication of the loaves and fish, and at the last supper he asked Jesus to show him the Father.

BARTHOLOMEW (OR NATHANAEL)
Philip brought Nathanael to Jesus. Jesus described him as a true Israelite, in whom there was nothing false. Because Jesus knew him, before He met him, Nathanael was prepared to affirm that Jesus was the Son of God and the King of Israel.

However Jesus said “You believe, because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that. He added, ”I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man”.

He was quickly assured by Jesus, that there would be greater experiences in store for him, and that the great vision which had come to Jacob would be realized in him. Jacob had seen the heavens open and the angels ascending and descending on the ladder, bringing the things of God to man and the things of man to God.

MATTHEW (OR LEVI)
Matthew was a publican under the government of Herod, a vassal of Rome. He sold out his own people and collected taxes for the Roman invader, presumably keeping a substantial portion for himself. His job or trade attracted the unscrupulous and the unethical, and for the taxes to be collected, by a Jew from a Jew, made him one of the most despised of men.

His submission and following of Jesus, was immediate.
Matthew 9:9 Jesus saw a man called Matthew sitting at work in the Customs-house, and said to him, Follow me; And Matthew rose from his place and followed Him.
Matthew who had been wealthy would now have nothing to look forward to except poverty and persecution!

His country which had meant nothing to him became very important. A hundred times and more in his Gospel, he goes back into the history of the past, quoting from Isaiah, Jeremiah, David, Daniel and all the prophets, and piles them one upon the other in “a great cumulative argument” which basically says - We have begotten the Son of the living God and have given the world the Messiah.

THOMAS
Well known for his scepticism, pessimism and doubt. Thomas was called Didymus, a Greek translation of a Hebrew name meaning “twin”

In another sense, there lived in him the “twins” of Faith and unbelief. Faith because he believed it was better to die with Jesus than to forsake him, and unbelief because he believed that death (Jesus’ death) would be the end of whatever work Jesus had in mind to accomplish.

However, he would travel, after Pentecost, to farthest India to implant the Christian faith.
Even to-day some Christians in India call themselves “St Thomas Christians”.

THADDEUS
He was the brother of James. Thaddeus and James are called “brethren of our Lord” but in Aramaic and Hebrew this word often means cousins or distant relatives. Lot is called the brother of Abraham, but he was his nephew. Laban is called the brother of Jacob, but he was his uncle. The sons of Oziel and Aaron, the sons of Cis and the daughters of Eleazar are called brothers, but they were cousins.

Besides his name Thaddeus, he was also known as, Judas not the Iscariot, and also by the name Jude. At the last supper he asked Jesus about the Holy Spirit, or how He would be invisible, yet manifest Himself after His Resurrection.

In him, like in many of the disciples, there was a desire to see some great flashing Messianic glory that would open “blind eyes” and capture “every intelligence”.
Very much like in us, too.

Later Thaddeus would write the Epistle of Jude beginning with words “reflecting” the “answer” he received. (Jude 1:1-2)

JAMES
Sometimes called James the Just, and James the Less, to distinguish him from James the son of Zebedee.

His mother was one of the women who stood at the foot of the Cross.
He wrote an Epistle addressed to the twelve tribes of the dispersion, the “Jewish Christians” who were scattered throughout the Roman world.

It was he who wrote: “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him. (James 1:12}

SIMON THE ZEALOT
Very little is known about him. His Aramaic name meaning Zealot suggests that he was part of a sect who were prepared to use violence to overthrow the yoke of Roman rule. Perhaps he was chosen by Jesus for his “wholehearted enthusiasm” for a cause – although we cannot be sure of this.

Nevertheless a whole lot of purification would be needed, before he like the other disciples, would understand the Kingdom of God, in terms of a Cross instead of a sword.

JUDAS ISCARIOT
The twelfth disciple, the son of perdition, who would betray Jesus.

Jesus knew from the first which were those who did not believe, and which of them was to betray Him. (John 6:65) And He endured their presence.

Judas would value the life of Jesus at thirty pieces of silver.

Symbolic perhaps that Jesus was paid for, out of the temple money destined for the purchase of temple sacrifices. Still more symbolic perhaps, that Jesus who took the form of a servant, was sold at the price of a slave.

Only those, who have suffered such betrayal, from within their own household, can even faintly grasp, the huge sadness of Jesus’ soul, that night of the betrayal.

The good example, counsel, companionship and heavenly inspiration and insight, all for nothing.

But this was not the end.

FAREWELL
Jesus said to His disciples:

John 13:34- 36
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
Simon Peter asked Him, Lord where are you going. Jesus replied “Where I am going you cannot follow now, but you will follow later”.

OTHER SOURCES REVIEWED
(from my own personal notes gathered from other sources over the last five years)

Although much in this section cannot be proven, beyond any doubt from Bible sources, it is, without any hesitation on my part, added purely for completing, the “true life” story, of the twelve disciples. It also gives one, perhaps “a broader view”, of what Jesus meant, when He said that His disciples would follow Him later. The Apostles first preached in Judea on the very first Christian Pentecost. They then dispersed throughout the different countries of the then known world.

Peter went to Antioch, where the followers of Christ were first called Christians (those belonging to Christ) in Acts 11:26. He journeyed through Judea, Samaria, Galilee, Asia Minor and eventually Rome. He presided at the first Council of the Apostles in Jerusalem in about the year 50 A.D. It is said, that at the same time that Paul (Apostle to the Gentiles) was beheaded, that Peter was crucified head downwards in Rome in about 67 A.D

John, the disciple who Jesus loved, lived first at Ephesus and governed the Christian Church in Asia Minor. He was later banished to Patmos, where he wrote the book of Revelation, as instructed. He died at about the age of 100 years, the last of the Apostles and the only one, who did not die a martyr’s death.

James, John’s brother, at first labored in Judea and some say that he traveled as far as Spain. He was the first of the Apostles to be martyred, by beheading in Jerusalem, in about 44 A.D by Herod Agrippa.

The other James, stayed in Jerusalem and was cast down from the pinnacle of the temple in about 63 A.D.

Matthew journeyed amongst the Ethiopians, Persians and Parthians and was martyred in Parthia

Andrew, Peter’s brother traveled through the lower Danube, and was crucified in Greece.

Thomas journeyed through Persia, Medea and India. He was martyred in India, pierced with a lance at the command of the King.

Philip traveled through Phrygia and Scythia and was crucified at Hieropolis.

Bartholomew journeyed to India, Arabia and Assyria. He was flayed and crucified in Armenia.

Simon traveled to North Africa, and was martyred in Persia.

Thaddeus journeyed to Syria and was martyred in Persia.

Matthias, chosen to take the place of Judas Iscariot, traveled to Ethiopia and was martyred at Sebastopolis.

To these Jesus had said “As the Father has sent me, I also send you” (John20:21)

REFLECTIONS

Thomas, a disciple, “touched” Jesus Christ as a man, but believed in Him as God.

At the end, in Jerusalem, Jesus made it clear to His disciples that their companionship with Him was past. His work would now continue in Heaven, theirs on earth. He highlighted the importance of prophecy and history. No one before, was ever pre-announced but He was, and the more they would search the Old Testament, the more they would understand. Luke 24:44-45 “How all that was written of me, in the law of Moses, and in the Prophets, and in the Psalms must be fulfilled. Then He enlightened their minds, to make them understand the Scriptures”.

A “new” light makes “all things” appear different, from what they were before.

Things look different, when we know “something” about them, in more detail.

In the “light” of what the disciples inform us about Jesus Christ, darkness turns into light, almost like some sort of interior illumination.

No greater darkness would descend upon the earth and mankind than that which descended on Jesus on the Cross. Evil would never be stronger than on that day, when it killed “Goodness”. He, Jesus, took the worst the world had to offer, and then by the power of Almighty God, rose above it, in the Resurrection.

The disciples and Apostles, at that time, were privileged to be “eye witnesses” to all that happened. Today, we too are privileged, to be disciples and followers of Jesus Christ, by the will, and “Love of God.”

AND NOW TO END

Revelation 21 &22

(from: The Children’s Bible by Mary Batchelor- A Lion Book 1985 & 1995)

“I saw a new heaven and a new earth, John wrote. And I heard a loud voice saying, Now God’s home is with mankind. God Himself will be with them. He will wipe away all tears. There will be no more death, no more grief or crying or pain. God’s Holy city has no need of sun or moon, because the glory of God shines on it, and the Lamb is its light”.

“I am coming very soon” Jesus promised, and John, a disciple, gladly answered,

“Yes, Lord Jesus – Please come”

Bibliography
The NIV Study Bible 1995 10th Anniversary Edition The Zondervan Corp
Authorized King James Version Zondervan Publishing House
New American Bible Thomas Nelson Publishers
The Living Bible Zondervan Bible Publishers
The Children’s Bible Mary Bacthelor A Lion Book
Interlinear Greek- English
New Testament 3rd Edition Jay P Green Baker Books

New Jerusalem Bible 1985 Darton, Longman and Todd

Life of Christ Fulton J Sheen- Printed by Peter Davies Ltd

The History of Christianity
A lion Handbook 1977 Lion Publishing Plc England

The Macmillan Dictionary
of the Bible 1998 Martin Selman & Martin Manser

Documents for the Study 1980 David R Cartlidge & David L Dungan
Of the Gospels William Collins Publishers, Inc.

Thanks must also go to all my fellow companions in Christ, all the millions of Christians the world over, but especially to the many authors and publishers of “enlightening” Christian books, who have truly been my “earthly” mentors and inspirers, without even knowing it. I have loved reading your books, and will continue to do so, as always a lay “Christian”.

A “very special” thanks to Dr. Elana Janson, your patience, kindness, and courageous continuing efforts, for the whole of humankind, is astonishing and truly appreciated.
God Bless you all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]