Re: Discrepancies in your book

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]

Posted by Richard Smit on October 07, 2005 at 07:46:22:

In Reply to: Discrepancies in your book posted by GDG on October 02, 2005 at 12:30:04:

As you might of noticed from some of the messages and questions I have posted on the forum, I am an enthusiastic supporter of the book “How near Armageddon”.

The book I find to be most intriguing, as it is the author’s own correlation between the history of the last two millennia and Revelation and is specifically dedicated to all those seeking answers to the purpose of man’s existence on earth.

By measuring the generations of men from the four cardinal dates in the life of Christ, and by correlating the contents of Revelation to the history of the last two millennia, the author shows that virtually every prophecy in Revelation will have been fulfilled by the end of the second millennium.

She challenges us, you and me, the readers to “evaluate our own personal lives” in the light of God’s promise, “I will come again”

This challenge refers to “the Return” and “Second Coming” of Jesus Christ, which all Christians the world over, know about and most certainly long for.

But will we be ready to meet Christ – will we have “washed our robes” (repented of our sins) and “at least have tried” to obtain “some” semblance of “righteousness” in our own lives.

This I believe is going to be big challenge for me.

QUOTING AUTHORS

I’m slowly beginning to realize and understand just how important it is that when one quotes any author that one quotes them correctly and fairly in a manner that is balanced, comprehensive and unbiased, and in no way changes what they are saying or attempting to put across to their readers, even if one agrees or disagrees with them.

The measurement of time in Revelation I believe is very complex and for me extremely difficult to “fully” comprehend, at this point in time.

From page 15 onwards of the book “How near Armageddon” the author explains how the time of 72 years as a “generation” in Revelation was conceived.

One of the verses the author uses is the verse from Isaiah 23:15 but I believe that this is only one of the “critical factors” and/or perhaps “complex factors” the author uses to base her “measurement of time” in Revelation on, which seems to be confirmed by the sentences and paragraphs which immediately follow, where it is said:

“From this verse, it seemed that ………….”

“Later it was discovered that Revelation divides the time 1860 – 2004 into two periods of 72 years. It therefore seemed that Revelation might be measuring the time of the millennium in times of 72 years”

“This was later confirmed by ……….”

“Lengths of time in Revelation can only be established by …. “

“Time in Revelation also indicates …..”

On Page 19:
“As we progress we will see that time indicated in Revelation has to be brought into relation with the four cardinal times of the life of Christ”

On Page 403
“As a result a long period of history [time] followed ………..”

To me it seems that there are many critical and complex factors that need to be taken into consideration (all at the same time, together) and that can be investigated relating to time throughout the book “How near Armageddon” and I find this, not at all surprising, as I am quite convinced in my own mind, that the book Revelation itself measures time besides other things.

However, to quote the author once again and as carefully as I am able, “the actual words of Jesus Christ ultimately convey the full meaning of Revelation” and “this implies a complete understanding of Revelation”.

I guess I’ll have to go and do some more “homework” and “patiently” wait for the author to give some more details.

TRANSLATIONS OF THE BIBLE
I’m so glad that you have raised this point because it is something that I have had great difficulty with in the past.

You won’t believe the number of different translations of the Bible I have in my possession-more than ten-and this includes the Interlinear Greek-English New Testament 3rd Edition, edited by Jay P Green, Sr

It has not helped me much, as I don’t speak, read or write the Greek language nor do I have any intention to learn the language, as this will take years to do, if not a “lifetime”.

The Greek language is itself “a very special and complex language” as I’m sure you yourself know.
But this does not mean that we cannot “understand” the problems that any “genuine” translator of the Bible has when translating the Bible into any language from the original languages.

Brief Quote from Josh Mcdowell – “The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict- To Answer Questions Challenging Christians In the 21st Century 760 pages
Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville

“One of the best known passages in the Bible contains a word that appears nowhere else in all existing Greek literature up to the time the New Testament was written. This word appears in what is popularly known as the Lord’s Prayer. Matthew 6:11
It is usually translated, “Give us this day our daily bread”. The word in question is the one translated – daily – (epiousion). Experts in Greek still have not come to any agreement either on its origin or on its precise meaning. Different commentators try to establish links with Greek words that are well known, and many suggestions have been proposed as to the resulting meaning. Among these suggestions are:

Give us this day our continuous bread.
Give us this day our supersubstantial (or supernatural from heaven) bread.
Give us this day bread for our sustenance
Give us this day our daily (what we need for today) bread.

Each proposal has its defenders, each makes sense in the context and each is based on the limited information available. There does not seem to be any compelling reason to depart from what has become the “generally accepted” translation. But this example serves to illustrate the point”. End of quote.

So I’ve decided to stick to”the translations” I have in my possession, until such time that God shows me otherwise.

I believe, that nothing can be lost, if one “trusts” and has “faith” only in God.

But all of the above is “only my viewpoint” expressed
which I believe, is, the “purpose and objective of the forum”.

None of us needs to be “afraid” of expressing our viewpoints, and “last but not least” thanks so much for “expressing your viewpoint”, it has truly been of great assistance to me, more than you could imagine.

I sincerely hope that all of the above will be of some interest to you, and I would be “very interested to know” which Bible translation (in English) you would recommend and encourage a non speaking Greek “Christian” to read. You never know I might just read it!

God Bless
Richard Smit

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]